[lbo-talk] Collective idiocy....

Marv Gandall marvgand at gmail.com
Sun Dec 23 11:50:27 PST 2012

On 2012-12-23, at 12:22 PM, Dennis Claxton wrote:

> On 12/23/2012 5:48 AM, Marv Gandall wrote:
>
>> In this case, as in others, there seems to be an unfortunate relationship between the absolute confidence of left-wing intellectuals, bordering on hubris, in the analyses and prescriptions they offer to working class communities and institutions, and their social and political distance from them.
>

> And this applies only to Jordan? You've seemed absolutely confident yourself.

Not when it comes to dispensing advice about what those engaged in strikes, campaigns, and various kinds of political activity ought or ought not to do. Many of us have learned from our own experience that things can look very different from the inside than the outside, so so I try to be avoid rushing to judgement about whether their actions are irrelevant, counter-productive, a diversion, strategically wrong, a betrayal, etc. By all means call me on it when I stray over my own line. In principle, I support all struggles for reform and, if need be, revolution, unless and until it can be demonstrated that such struggles run counter to the popular interest, which is rarely the case - certainly not as regards the campaign to ban or restrict the supply of handguns and assault weapons. While it may not be the first cause I would take to the barricades, neither would I crusade against it for no apparent reason. That's been at the heart of my disagreement with Jordan.

> I find some of Jordan's arguments very convincing. At the very least, he problematizes what you assume is obvious.
>
> I venture you've spent more time thinking about this talking to him than you would have otherwise. Maybe before you thought there was nothing to really think about, but it seems there is.

I've always found some value in the discussions on these lists.