[lbo-talk] conservatives vs. leftists

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 08:02:39 PST 2012

I recently had a conversation with someone arguing that conservatives tend to be more generous and compassionate individuals (citing some data on charitable giving and volunteering.) While I generally dismiss such opinions as propaganda, it occurred to me that based on my personal experience there may be some kernel of truth in it. I met a number of people with conservative ideas, which I found rather objectionable, but many of the people who expressed them were quite nice fellows - gregarious, polite, respectful, courteous, even helpful. On the other hand, the opposite was true of many lefties I met - I liked their ideas, but the people who expressed them were rather sanctimonious, arrogant, full of themselves, judgmental, vitriolic, and quite intolerant of the views of other people. Not that every conservative I met was nice and every leftie was nasty - but enough of them fit the mold to make one wonder. I recall Graeber making a similar remark that personal animosities and vitriolic polemics were frequent causes of the breakup of leftists groups.

Any thoughts?

-- Wojtek http://wsokol.blogspot.com/