[lbo-talk] The paradox of southern racism

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 06:56:50 PST 2012

Ravi, you may also want to read Pierre Bordieu, "Distinction, A Social Critique of the Judgment of Taste" in which he argues that class distinctions are manifested in the aesthetic of the everyday life (such as home decor or food preference) and are acquired in very early childhood. Her argues that these aesthetic preferences ("cultural capital") also forms the basis of the revulsion toward aesthetic preferences forming the base of other social classes. Following this logic, interaction with other classes will not result in a greater tolerance, and may even result in even greater revulsion toward the habits of other classes.

I like Bourdieu, because unlike many Continental writers, his writing is crystal clear, empirically informed, and theoretical & reflective at the same time. What is more, reading him leaves one with a very satisfying feeling of reading something that is both scientifically sound and "politically correct" (sorry for this cliche, but I cannot think of a better term).

Wojtek