[lbo-talk] conservatives vs. leftists

Nathan n.crazeddoberman at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 11:36:02 PST 2012

On Thu, Feb 02, 2012 at 11:02:39AM -0500, Wojtek S wrote:
> dismiss such opinions as propaganda, it occurred to me that based on
> my personal experience there may be some kernel of truth in it. I met
> a number of people with conservative ideas, which I found rather
> objectionable, but many of the people who expressed them were quite
> nice fellows - gregarious, polite, respectful, courteous, even
> helpful. On the other hand, the opposite was true of many lefties I
> met - I liked their ideas, but the people who expressed them were
> rather sanctimonious, arrogant, full of themselves, judgmental,
> vitriolic, and quite intolerant of the views of other people. Not
> that every conservative I met was nice and every leftie was nasty -
> but enough of them fit the mold to make one wonder. I recall Graeber
> making a similar remark that personal animosities and vitriolic
> polemics were frequent causes of the breakup of leftists groups.

You obviously haven't listened to a John Bircher any time recently. I think ravi's characterization fits the mold more, and think he's right to point to internet polemic not being the best judge of character--imagine reading legal briefs and drawing conclusions on their authors' characters from statements like "so-and-so wrongfully claims X which is emphatically not based on anything in reality".

That said the nastiest people I've ever dealt with have been academic faculty, so that might have some bearing on this. By the same token one of the nicest people I know gave me a black eye in boxing practice last night. It's very difficult to do any sort of calculus on this sort of thing as far as I can tell. But on the same side of that coin I'd say that New Yorkers aren't rude, they're just in a fucking hurry, which might come off as rude to someone who doesn't know how long an avenue block is.

I wonder if there isn't some sociological pattern that transfers personal animosities into animosity directed towards out-groups.

-- Nathan