[lbo-talk] Error Correction RE: Essential Reading - Hah!

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Feb 5 10:14:05 PST 2012

Do you remember my post asserting that "Education" was an ideological construct, having no material basis? I don't need justification (nor does anyone else) to insert myself in any particular thread, selecting whatever point of insertion I please. I do not think anyone has ever been unsubbed for irrelevance. And I argued these same points on the English Department list at ISU over 10 years ago. My understanding of my own argument has widened and deepened since then, but the empirical grounds for it have remained unchanged for at least 40 years.

Carrol

Carrol

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of shag carpet bomb Sent: Sunday, February 05, 2012 11:26 AM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org; lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Error Correction RE: Essential Reading - Hah!

look, it's pretty simple. you want to be part of a conversation and didn't want to have to read the book to do so. now, you are spending endless airtime coming up with post hoc justifications for doing so. but it's not that complicated.

the answer to the problem is this: stop trying to be part of the conversation *about* a book that you don't have time to read. NO ONE thinks that we can read everything. NO ONE is asking that you read everything.

you are arguing against straw positions. while doug thinks he actually creates things buy doing that, you know a fuckload better than that. knock it off.

What *I* ask is that you do one of two things:

1. shut the fuck up about the book if you have not read it. 99% of the people on this list, both the speakers, and the lurkers, manage to do this. You and others who want to talk about a book but don't have time to read it are quite capable of doing same. have another conversation about something you do want to talk about. say, "this reminds me of this other issues that is a problem for leftist thought." or somesuch...

2. if you want to start a related conversation such as, WRT speculations as to what, say, Corey Robin had in mind with the phrase "mind", then start it and leave the guy out of it. It's really easy to do this. Ravi managed it when he wrote a post introducing other ways of conceiving of "minds". The examples of this are endless.

oh, another option:

3. ask honest questions - not duplicitous ones that poison the wells - questions that are in good faith.

"oh hai! Shag, Robin says that reactionaries do X and so. What about the philsopher Haywood j Blowme who says Y and so?"