[lbo-talk] Santa Rita, I Hate Every Inch of You

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Tue Feb 7 13:06:31 PST 2012

actually, the roots of protest in Wisconsin are bound up with ant-globo. this is explored in a book that recently came out on OWS, tracing the activist connections that persisted throughout the 90s, Seattle, protests at Inaguration > Genoa/Quebec/etc > Dem/Rep Conventions, etc.

The anarchist/direct action connection with labor bubbled up around Anti-capitalist protest in Seattle and endured throughout, especially, a series of Direct Action-Labor alliances in NYC throughout the 00s.

It was common for union protests to call on the Direct Action crowd for use of their puppets and their bodies any time they had a protest.

<> <> [If Purucker is a reliable index of currents, Occupy has in just a few <> months learned what the alterglobo movement never did.] <> <> As far as I know there was an immense amount of both focused and <> 'far-reaching,' conversation in that 'movement.' But as several have <> pointed <> out on this list and elsewhere, Wisconsin (including OW*S) represents <> a 'new <> start,' involving new constituencies. You can't use it and the <> "anti-global" <> movement to knock one or the other. The latter involved the usual <> suspects, <> a gathering up of possibilities from the past. It was a complete <> success in <> its own terms, and it is silly to talk about it learning or not <> learning <> something. <> <> And it's premature to see OWS as a coherent movement that can <> (already) be <> judged. I emphasize the need for theorizing "where we have gotten to," <> but <> all these critiques (positive and negative) are premature unless you <> regard <> them as merely voices in a conversation that has hardly begun yet. <> <> Carrol <> <> <> ___________________________________ <> http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/mailman/listinfo/lbo-talk <>