[lbo-talk] Rosa on Old Women (Was: Graeber responds to Hedges)

lbo83235 lbo83235 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 05:02:21 PST 2012

On Feb 10, 2012, at 2:45 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:

> Fuck it someone says; there
> will never be a really good time. Let's DO IT. Let's RISK it. We can't do
> worse than look like fools. Let's do it!

Fair enough, but I think you're overlooking an important dimension to this, which is how the group responds if someone has the courage (if that is the word) to say, "I *so* want to do this, but I'm scared shitless." How does the group respond to that? Does the person get shamed into compliance, or hounded out of the group? I'm not discounting the possibility that maybe they *should* be so shamed, or so ostracised, but I think we should have an honest and frank conversation about when and why. If we're going to shame or ostracise people, we should do it consciously and intentionally, rather than out of in-group tribal-identity dynamics, or interpersonal ego-swinging crap, one or the other of which is what usually happens. Or both. I'd like to redeem the concept, so to speak, and I understand and like the example you've cited. But I do think the language of heroism is easily co-opted in service of retrogressive forces, so should probably be approached a bit carefully.