[lbo-talk] More on BB antics and their defenders

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Fri Feb 10 14:17:23 PST 2012

On Feb 10, 2012, at 3:04 PM, Julio Huato wrote:
> My 2 cents:

> paraphrase Rosa Luxemburg -- yeah, we Marxists argue, because we are
> trying to persuade people, to tell them what to do, what is best for
> them. If you have a strong belief about how things should be done,
> then you want others to believe it too. If you think I'm wrong, then
> show me I'm wrong, persuade me that I'm wrong, but don't ask me to say
> that avoid the engagement if our views are at odds.
>
> This "diversity of tactics" fetish is that, a fetish. It's basically
> saying that we are so afraid about engaging with one another's
> tactical ideas on serious grounds, without people storming out of a
> meeting or yell at each other, that we better agree to disagree. Each
> of us can and should do whatever the f- one wants to do, and hope that
> the outcome will be the best for everyone involved. Hm, no. That is
> not very serious.

Got it! A tactic of adversity rather than a diversity of tactics. Give me a long enough argument and I can change the world! :-) Kidding aside, I get your point, but I think you fail to see how your own criticism applies to you. “Diversity of tactics” is itself an argument, which you are refusing to engage in by dismissing it as a “fetish”.

—ravi