[lbo-talk] School Debate: Central Focus

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 15 10:25:43 PST 2012

At 09:49 AM 2/15/2012, Doug Henwood wrote:

>As Christian Parenti pointed out to me after the
>event, Malcolm X educated himself in a prison library.

http://www.swaraj.org/shikshantar/malcolm_autobio.html

I became increasingly frustrated at not being able to express what I wanted to convey in letters that I wrote, especially those to Mr. Elijah Muhammad. In the Street, I had been the most articulate hustler out there ­ I had commanded attention when I said something. But now, trying to write simple English, I not only wasn’t articulate, I wasn’t even functional. How would I sound writing in slang, the way I would say it, something such as "Look, daddy, let me pull your coat about a cat, Elijah Muhammad­"

Many who today hear me somewhere in person, or on television, or those who read something I’ve said, will think I went to school far beyond the eighth grade. This impression is due entirely to my prison studies.