[lbo-talk] School Debate: Central Focus

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Wed Feb 15 10:54:48 PST 2012

Few Americans think in terms of systemic issues. It's always easier to blame individuals.

Joanna

----- Original Message ----- Doug: "The way other countries do this is the teacher gets the degree and learns to teach via something like apprenticing for quite a while with a master teacher."

[WS:] That is soooo un-American. It takes the management out of the loop.

Another point. Why is there so much attention paid to the teachers in this whole school debate, aside the obvious union busting agenda? If there is a problem with the educational system in the US of A, it certainly is NOT caused by the teachers and their teaching credentials or lack thereof. It is caused by the "students being unavailable for instruction" (as it is called in the educational system lingo.) We may argue what is the root cause of this unavailability - but it certainly is NOT the teachers. I am generally unsure about most things in life, but I am pretty damn sure about this one.