[lbo-talk] School Debate: Central Focus

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Thu Feb 16 12:17:36 PST 2012

Excellent post. Last night I was trying to compose something along these very lines. When I got out of UCB grad school in art, I went to work as a carpenter apprentice. We were re-modeling California Hall which was built in 1906-9. The east entrance had a dual oval stairway. It connected the lobby with the first floor, which was a mezzanine

The building knowledge of how to build these stairways was staggering. Only the oldest and most skilled carpenters knew how to construct the concrete forms for what is called an oval helicoid.

Most of these stairs go back to the early Baroque. One of the more famous is in the Palazzo Barberini, done by Borromini. The ones I saw constructured used steel encased in concrete, which was designed to be self-supporting---hence no pillars or supports.

CG