[lbo-talk] School Debate: Central Focus

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Wed Feb 15 12:11:54 PST 2012

On Feb 15, 2012, at 2:24 PM, Sean Andrews wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 12:21, shag carpet bomb <shag at cleandraws.com> wrote:
>> but you don't really mean that schools correct social inequality at
>> all, do you? I mean, the CD author might, but not leftists?
>
> How about that education creates possibilities to lessen the effets of
> social inequality - just as the welfare state does.

Welfare, such as there is, is explicitly redistributive. As long as we have a hierarchical and pyramidal employment system where people are paid based on where they fall in the pyramid, how can education make any difference? Someone has to clean the toilet and get paid a shitty wage for it, no? Mobility even if high will only appease a libertarian, not us, yes?

Not to forget, supply and demand. If we all became doctors, perhaps doctors will become a dime a dozen.

I acknowledge (while snipping) your point about education preparing people to change the system, but that’s a different argument, I would think.

—ravi