[lbo-talk] School Debate: Central Focus

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Thu Feb 16 08:25:44 PST 2012

wojtek: <> <> [WS:] I realize that, of course, but I come from a different cultural <> environment (Europe) where skilled "manual" labor was highly prized. <> My grandfather was an electrician (and a card-carrying Communist who <> remembered listening to Lenin in person in St. Petersburg in 1917) and <> many of my childhood friends went into vocational schools and <> explicitly rejected the value of college education. My best buddy and <> role model while I was in high school, was a guy who trained to be a <> welder, and my significant others came, for the most part, from the <> working class background. More importantly, I met many blue collar <> workers whose level of political sophistication was was higher than <> that of college graduates. I also understand that skilled manual <> labor is highly respected in Germany and Sweden as well. <> <>>From my pov, the "manual" labor can be as if not more intellectually <> challenging than many white collar jobs. <> <> Wojtek

When I was a kid, I left home and lived with a German family. My own family had scattered across the country to find work b/c of a severe economic crisis: plant shutdowns, etc. (I got laid off due to shutdowns three times within my first year of full time employment at age 17-18)

I would come home from my waitress job and tell H, the father, about my day: the crappy customer treatment, etc. He was a carpenter and he'd tell me about how his sister in Germany was a waitress all her life because it was perfectly acceptable as a career.

Is that still the case in Germany?

My sister is a lifelong waitress, pretty much, although she's got a degree in education. I think she's trying to get work at a local vocational training school which also caters to the disabled, but hasn't had luck yet. She's not a waitress/bartender by choice, IOW.

I had to laugh, when I first started working here, I happened to pull out a few tricks one learns as a waitress./bartender. It was during our regular potlucks. The response? Wow? Did you learn that in school or something? They assumed that the only way I could have known how to make a proper display of cocktail napkins was in restaurant management school or something. LOL Admittedly, this was from a person from a rather upper middle class family as were the people who assumed as much as well.