[lbo-talk] School Debate: Central Focus

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 09:17:22 PST 2012

You welcome. I am now watching the film and absolutely relate to it. I do a lot of "manual" projects myself around the house, plumbing, electrical, carpentry etc. and what they say about "systemic thinking" rings very true. You have to figure out how what you are doing will actually work, you cannot bullshit your way though as you often do in academic work, and you will be utterly sorry if you try to bullshit. The same applies to working with existing appliances etc. - you have to assume that people who assembled it did so for a reason and you have to find what that reason was - you cannot simply dismiss it as bullshit as intellectuals often do with someone else's writing. If you want to play that game, it will cost you dearly. That is why I think that "manual" work offers a nice balance to academic work - it helps maintaining sanity.

Having said that, however, I've seen enough shoddy work in the houses in which I've lived to wonder WTF were those people thinking? I blame it on the "business model" - the contractors who do these jobs are first and foremost businessmen, not craftspeople, and cutting corners is a central part of the "business model."

Wojtek