[lbo-talk] Payroll tax cut extension

Dennis Redmond metalslorg at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 11:22:59 PST 2012

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 12:58 PM, Jordan Hayes <jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com> wrote:

> It looks like this has gone through.  I think the longer this goes on
> (extensions, etc.), the more likely it is that either the tax will go away
> completely -- and Social Security can finally be put onto the general budget
> -- or that the cap gets raised; either one of these options is a good step
> forward for reversing the trend of the total tax burden in the US toward
> regressiveness.

Yes, I'd say it's one of the first legislative victories of Occupy. For the first time in my adult life, the neolibs are on the defensive.

I'm still pinching myself, to make sure it's all real. To paraphrase the late, great Heiner Mueller, I've lived for so long under the dictatorship of neoliberalism, it's difficult for me to imagine what economic democracy looks like.

-- DRR