[lbo-talk] Payroll tax cut extension

Bill Quimby quimbywm at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 14:20:30 PST 2012

Your excitement may be tempered by the fact that this "Democratic victory" is another attack on the working class - or unworking class if you please....

Coverage for the long-term unemployed is cut from the current maximum of 99 weeks to a ceiling of 73 weeks by this fall in states with the worst job markets, with most topping out at 63 weeks - a 33% decrease.

The $30 billion cost of the extended benefits would be paid for.in part by requiring federal workers hired after this year to contribute an additional 2.3 percent of their pay for their pensions, up from the current 0.8 percent.

Note that the pension increase applies to members of Congress, but only those who begin service as of next January -- exempting every current lawmaker!

- Bill