[lbo-talk] offlist (The 23%...)

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 06:26:51 PST 2012

Shag: "Graeber has a fascinating analysis of all this in terms of what he calls a Political Ontology of the Imagination v Political Ontology of Violence. (Speaking of, I really like his explanation of how cops are simply low level bureaucrats with guns, which is a good way to understand their behavior.)"

[WS:] I think he does much better when he talks about cops wanting to "define the situation" (in the section why cops hate puppets) - which does not have much to do with them being bureaucrats with guns. It has something to do with the fact that in any situation defining the situation is a crucial element of making other people to "go with the program."

Katz ("Seductions of Crime") demonstrates that by studying crime, especially stick up. A successful stick up is when everyone, including the victims, accept the definition of the situation as a stickup, and consequently plays the respective role. Any disruption poses a threat to defining the situation the way the robbers (or cops or Carrol Cox ;) for that matter) want, and thus foils their plans. A good example of it is in one of the Woody Allen films in which a would be bank robber hands a stick-up note to the teller in which he misspells the word "gun" ("I have a gub"). The tellers starts asking him and then everyone around 'What is a gub?"

I did not notice Graeber citing Katz on this, but he should have. I find Katz's argument far more developed than Graeber's simple state bashing. But he makes an excellent point why cops hate puppets, which can be extend to some of the behaviors on this list as well ;).

Wojtek