[lbo-talk] Subject: Re: great writers on movies . . .

Chris Sturr sturr at dollarsandsense.org
Wed Feb 22 11:35:26 PST 2012

On Pauline Kael: I remember reading a good piece on her in the NY Review of Books a long time ago--I just dug it up and it was by Louis Menand and it was a 1995 review of one of the anthologies of her reviews ( http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/1995/mar/23/finding-it-at-the-movies/). The first few paragraphs, especially, are worth checking out--he situates Kael's approach in the way the New Yorker at the time tried to deal with the psychology, and in particular, the insecurities, of its literate--but not *too* literate--upper-middle-class readership. It helps explain what Brian pointed out in his recent post about Kael--that she rejected the idea of understanding movies in terms of their form and content. I'd quote extensively, but better to let people just check it out themselves. I think Menand is sympathetic toward Kael, but I would side with Brian's assessment of her.

-- -- Chris Sturr Editor, *Dollars & Sense* 29 Winter St. Boston, Mass. 02108 phone: 617-447-2177, ext. 205 fax: 617-447-2179 email: sturr at dollarsandsense.org