[lbo-talk] social media

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 08:09:33 PST 2012

Angelus: "The problem is that native English-speakers from the US, in their travels, usually only come into contact with people who have had the educational and/or wealth advantages that allow them to learn foreign languages."

[WS:] I was thinking of sub-Saharan Africa and India, not Europe. In East Africa and India virtually everyone (not just the literati) speaks English, In Mozambique everyone speaks Portuguese, in Burkina Faso it is French. Obviously, it is a result of colonialism but the fact remains that most people in these parts of the world are mullti-lingual - unlike most Americans or Europeans.

As a tangent to it - I think that speaking more than language greatly expands one's cognitive capacity, so including ability to speak more than one language in intelligence tests would have an interesting effect as white Anglo males would trail below people of color.

I think Graeber makes a point that subordinate classes have developed a greater capacity for interpretative work in general than the dominant classes.

Wojtek