[lbo-talk] social media

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Thu Feb 23 08:47:12 PST 2012

On Feb 23, 2012, at 11:09 AM, Wojtek S wrote:

> [WS:] I was thinking of sub-Saharan Africa and India, not Europe. In
> East Africa and India virtually everyone (not just the literati)
> speaks English,…

I am not sure this is true of India. This (http://l.ravi.be/wytbXb) ToI article says 125 million Indians list English as a language (primary, secondary, etc), which is a far cry from virtually everyone (1.x billion counting children). On the other hand, English is highly integrated into local languages making it possible to communicate with a large number of people in cities on simple matters. I would also consider English a near-native language in India. The language has been in use for 250 or more years, it is the official language of India, and the language used (among others) in many forms, road signs, etc.

—ravi