[lbo-talk] Correction

Tahir Wood twood at uwc.ac.za
Fri Feb 24 07:42:46 PST 2012

OK Mr W, you and I are just about done here; my last couple of replies will suffice for this particular discussion. See below.

Tahir: " teacher under achievement" [WS:] Can you tell me about underachievement in other professions and how it compares to teachers? And while doing this, can you tell me what share of the teaching profession in SA is female?

T: I do not believe that there is comparable underachievement in other professions. Nursing, Social Work, Occupational Therapy all have a greater proportion of women than teaching in SA and they are not seen as being in the same dire state, not by me or by anyone I know of. So, again, a pretty hamfisted attempt at ideology critique on your part. I won't be responding to any further attempts.

In the US it is 75% on average, comparing to the 47% national average, and 12% of architects, 10% of civil engineers, and 32% of physicians http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/2012/tables/12s0616.pdf. This, in my view, explains the zeal of (mostly male) politicians and educational "reformers" to regulate the teaching profession while the other ones are largely self-regulated. It is really very simple - power and social status. All the meritocracy concerns are just bullshit to cover this basic fact up - not worth the paper on which it is written.

T: A point which you obviously think that you've proved beyond doubt. "Bullshit" is a handy cover for a weak argument in such cases, isn't it? Meritocracy? The concept doesn't even arise for me in description of a national crisis, brought about by blinkered ideology of precisely the kind that you yourself peddle.

PS. This is a peer discussion group, not a grade or graduate school. We are all equals here

T: Oh really? What about the "this is not South Africa" stunt. (What was "this" all about?) Give it a rest, you're clearly not up to this debate.

- except Doug who wields the power of pulling the plug;).

T: I wait in breathless anticipation.

Comments on how much others do or do not know are not appropriate here.

T: No of course not. Far better to tell them (repeatedly) that they're talking "bullshit". My advice is stay out of debates that you don't know squat about, boy. Over and out.