[lbo-talk] (The 23%...)

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Fri Feb 24 09:12:38 PST 2012

i plan on doing close readings of the book, chapter by chapter, so i hope you can tolerate that. while i'll post on the blog, I can send you a copy of the plain text. i may actually also proofread! it'll be slow b/c i'm training for a bunch of century rides in april-may, but I think it's worth looking at his stuff closely.

the political ontology of the imagination is, i think, a long explanation of what graeber means by his controversializing statement that small a anarchists operate *as if* they were already free. this is not to say that, by pretending that the cops won't beat them bloody during protests, they are somehow free and that social structures can come tumbling down simply by Thinking Differently.

I have a suspicion that it only makes sense if you have a good grasp of a more sociological or anthropolotical understanding of the world. Someone here, a few months ago, poo pooed the idea that it matters, for example, that people felt transformed by the experience of direct democracy. they saw it as crazy and cultish that rational human beings might get caught up in something as silly as the effervescent excitement what was going on around them. This does make little sense to the manly man approach to politics as one where individuals make rational decisions about self-interest and public interest.

Anyway, at this point in the book, Graeber ties together all the reading I'd done a couple of months ago on the situationist roots of direct action. He started pointing to some scholars in a french tradition of sociological inquiry which, for me, threaded together an intellectual tradition that hadn't been explored elsewhere.