[lbo-talk] Graeber on wars

Dennis Redmond metalslorg at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 09:49:11 PST 2012

On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 11:02 AM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> I asked David Graeber what evidence he had for the claim that elites started wars because of the success of the Global Justice movement. His answer:
>
>> well I just noticed there was a pattern.

Not sure what Graeber is getting at, unless he means that the last thirty years of neoliberalism have been the equivalent of a planetary war, waged by plutocrats on us workers of the world, which I'd agree with.

I have nothing but respect and love for the GJ movements, but if we're talking geopolitics, the single biggest constraint on the neocolonial wars of the US Empire has been the wildfire spread of developmental states throughout the global semi-periphery. That's a true game-changer.

-- DRR