[lbo-talk] Graeber on wars

Marv marvgand at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 11:59:18 PST 2012

On 2012-02-24, at 2:16 PM, 123hop at comcast.net wrote:

> Nothing new here is it? I remember some radical saying that wars are often subverted revolutions.
>
> And I do believe that as the noose of austerity draws tighter in EU and US, the drums are sounding for war with Iran. No?

I don't believe the US or European defense and foreign policy establishments are beating the drums for a war with Iran. They have reason to be concerned about the knock-on effect of a sharp rise in the oil price on the fragile state of the world economy, as well as the effect their intervention would have on the relations they are hoping to develop with the emergent Muslim Brotherhood throughout the region. That's why they've been counselling restraint on the Israelis, who hope to draw them into a war by provoking an Iranian response against Western and allied interests.

These considerations, IMO, far outweigh any concerns about anti-austerity protests in their home countries, protests which are more likely to mount rather than diminish if austerity bites even more deeply.