[lbo-talk] College football player on hunger strike in support ofuniversity workers

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 25 11:41:42 PST 2012

At 04:46 AM 2/25/2012, c b wrote:

>When we get the football players on the left, comes the revolution.

It's happened before:

http://www.edgeofsports.com/2004-01-01-36/

David Meggyesy was an All-American linebacker at Syracuse University before playing for the National Football League's St. Louis (now Arizona) Cardinals from 1963-1969. He was active in the movements for civil rights and opposition to the war in Viet Nam. In 1970 he wrote his football autobiography, Out of Their League, that examined how big time sports in the United States can dehumanize athletes. Since 1981, Dave Meggyesy has worked as the Western Regional Director of the National Football League Players Association (NFLPA). In part III of our series on Sports and struggle in the 1960s, Meggyesy talks to Prince George's Post News Editor Dave Zirin about how he organized on an NFL team and lessons for people today.