[lbo-talk] Jean Genet's _The Balcony_

ricardostarkey at aol.com ricardostarkey at aol.com
Sun Feb 26 05:29:30 PST 2012

Someone here (Dennis Claxton?) recommended the 1963 film version of Genet's play quite a while ago. At that time, I put it into the saved portion of my Netflix queue. Well, it just became available and I finally got to see it last night. Thanks for the recommendation, whoever you are, because it's excellent -- fascinating, thought-provoking and funny.

The late, great Peter Falk is a hoot as the power-hungry chief of police who tries to grab power during a nebulous uprising of sorts, after the major power holders have all been killed. He tries to pass off three regular clients of the brothel run by no-nonsense Shelly Winters as "the general," "the chief justice" and "the bishop." These characters are well-rehearsed in their parts because they get lots of practice role-playing with the women of the bordello. They enjoy the roles so much that they become tempted to assert their fictional identities as real. Leonard Nimoy plays Roger the revolutionary, the antagonist of the police chief.

See it. Eighty-four minutes you will definitely not consider wasted. I believe it's available online, too.

Here's the blurb from Netflix:

Joseph Strick helmed this adaptation of playwright Jean Genet's surrealistic political satire about customers who continue their fantasy role-playing in a brothel, oblivious to the violent revolution raging in the streets. Shelley Winters stars as the bordello's madam, and Peter Falk shines as the police chief who attempts to stem the insurrection. Nominated for a Best Cinematography Oscar, the film costars Leonard Nimoy, Lee Grant and Ruby Dee.

Cast: Shelley Winters, Peter Falk, Lee Grant, Peter Brocco, Joyce Jameson, Jeff Corey, Arnette Jens, Ruby Dee, Leonard Nimoy, Kent Smith Director: Joseph Strick Genres: Drama, Classic Dramas, Political Dramas, Dark Humor & Black Comedies Format: DVD