[lbo-talk] the process of privatizing schools

James Leveque jamespl79 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 15:12:44 PST 2012

http://labornotes.org/blogs/2012/02/occupying-parents-win-audience-chicago-schools-still-privatize

"Activists have noted that many schools targeted for closure because of poor test scores spiraled downward when they started receiving students ousted from other closing schools."

The impression I get from this statement is that after a school is privatised, the students are sent to other schools. When a school is privatised, is the turn-over from public to charter immediate or is there typically a gap that forces students to go to other schools. I assumed that the turnover was immediate so that the charter would absorb the students and they wouldn't need to attend another school. Are school boards (in this case CPS) intentionally creating a lag-time between public and charter status in order to force students to attend other schools, and then using the lowered test scores to justify further school closings? Or, when a school is privatised, are the new charters refusing to readmit some students (which I guess would practically amount to the same thing)?

James