[lbo-talk] MH & DG on university

Jeffrey Fisher jeff.jfisher at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 18:57:51 PST 2012

I think that, at least in part, you misunderstood me. Which may well be my own fault. I'm inclined to think this is mainly miscommuncation, here.

But I was talking about the system I teach in, not the one I'd want to teach in. I didn't say we shouldn't do it because it doesn't scale. My point was that you can't make money off it because it doesn't scale. And so where the system is built to make money for people, which it is, there's a drive to make things efficient, standardized, etc. So at least what i think i'm doing is rejecting a factory model of education. Do we not think the kind of teaching we're talking about doing is time-intensive in ways that are not reducible to replaceable parts in a sort of fordian model of education, which is more or less what i think i teach in? That in fact "what students can handle" is at least pretty close to individual? But i don't get to sort the classes i have now into groups of people who can handle the same amount of the same kind of material. I teach classes with broad mixes of talent, interest, and background. But if i tried to tailor the class to every one of them, it would kill me. At least i think it would. Maybe i'm wrong, but it's the way it looks to me right now. It would be like teaching five or six or seven times as many classes as i already teach.

If it does scale (i.e., to mass levels), can you explain to me how far and how it works? I'm open to the idea. I just think teaching and learning are inherently inefficient, but maybe that's because i'm stuck in an outmoded way of thinking about everything.

I guess i think you're attributing a bunch of stuff to me that i don't think, and i don't understand why you're doing it except that i said something that sounded like some stuff other people say, and so suddenly i was one of them.

As for students not liking the work, i'm partly venting frustration, but it ought to be understood as symptomatic of the structure we're in. But the truth is that i actually get a lot of students who enjoy the class and enjoy the challenge. If not at first, then eventually, when they start to feel like they're getting somewhere. So, there's that. But when they first get to me, they generally expect me to hand them everything. They've been trained to it, afaict. It's not just laziness (although i reckon some of it is). It's a symptom of the structure. On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 2:58 PM, shag carpet bomb <shag at cleandraws.com>wrote: