[lbo-talk] Free online courses

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Tue Feb 28 09:18:41 PST 2012

Alan Rudy writes:

> I thought Jordan's challenge to nathan tankus' position
> that people don't have the ability to learn on their own
> was spot on.

I was being a little flip, but my point is that it shouldn't be surprising that so few people are self-learners, because it's not something that often gets taught. And I would wager that among the self-learners I've known over the years, most of them came to it on their own.

> My students frequently fail to show their ability to learn
> - an ability they clearly evidence in other areas of their
> lives - because they see no reason, personal or institutional,
> to do the work to learn what I am teaching...

I don't think this is germane; I mean, you're talking about not-self-learning here, right?

/jordan