[lbo-talk] Free online courses

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 09:31:30 PST 2012

I'm not sure I understand the distinction being drawn here. Isn't the practical effect of existing university education to goad students into self-learning: finding, comparing, analyzing, and mastering relevant materials independently? No offense to the profs, but I don't think most actual knowledge acquisition at universities occurs in lecture halls. And the point of it all (to the extent that it has a point) seems to be to encourage independent study and reflection.

Then again, I was always told that my uni was pretty good, comparatively speaking. Perhaps it's different at others?