[lbo-talk] A liberal geek defense of Ron Paul

Marv Gandall marvgand at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 07:22:01 PST 2012

On 2012-01-05, at 10:06 AM, Wojtek S wrote:

> The only exception from this business/religion bifurcation of politics
> in the Etats Unis is what Corey Robin describes as reactionary
> activists - they pursue politics for the sake of power rather than
> just pecuniary gains. Although pecuniary gains typically follow their
> political action, I buy Robin's argument that this is not what
> primarily motivates these guys. Their primary motivation is power and
> devising clever stratagems to gain it - and this is why they stand
> head and shoulders above both, the political mainstream (Democrats,
> liberals, and centrist Republicans) and the religiously radical left
> in the Etats Unis.

No group seeks power for its own sake, Woj. They seek power as a means of realizing their objectives. The Republican right has a political program. It's very clear about wanting to reverse the historic gains and weaken the organizations of trade unionists, blacks, women, gays, immigrants, and the other constituencies we belong to and support.