[lbo-talk] Quote of the Day

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Thu Jan 5 07:23:51 PST 2012

On Jan 5, 2012, at 8:59 AM, Marv Gandall wrote:
> On 2012-01-05, at 8:29 AM, c b wrote:
>> Quote of the Day:
>> " Death does not concern us, because as long as we exist, death is
>> not
>> here. And when it does come, we no longer exist ".
>> Epicurus
> Along the same lines:
> "Death is not an event in life: we do not live to experience death.
> If we take eternity to mean not infinite temporal duration but
> timelessness, then eternal life belongs to those who live in the
> present. Our life has no end in the way in which our visual field
> has no limits."
> — Wittgenstein, Tractatus, 6.431

These are empty wordplays. Death may not be an event "in" life, but *dying* is a process that takes place entirely "in" life; and death is a constituent part of the dying process, not an "event." At some point in the dying process every physical organism loses its centralized consciousness and never regains it, but that says nothing as to whether consciousness in some manner continues beyond "that bourn from which no traveller has ere returned."

Shane Mage

"L'après-vie, c'est une auberge espagnole. L'on n'y trouve que ce qu'on a apporté."

Bardo Thodol