[lbo-talk] unions and member education

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Sun Jan 8 07:01:33 PST 2012

Interesting Michael. In Francesca Polletta's _Freedom is an Endless Meeting_, she traces the roots of consensus decision-making and the value placed on direct democracy - the general challenge to hierarchical, top-down decision-making, partly to the experiences of union members who attended schools and colleges supported by unions. They didn't go to college to get vocational training but a liberal arts education, and the schools supported a more "leveled" interaction between students and teachers. People schooled in workers' universities went on to participate in labor, civil rights, and women's movements struggle, including some in the antiwar movement during WWII (IIRC). The Highlander Freedom Schools were founded on principles learned at these workers' colleges. And, in turn, those principles were spread through out civil rights and women's liberation struggles later in the 50s and 60s. (This trend toward "flattening" education, especially for workers and adults, but sometimes also for adolescents, was part of a larger trend in schooling ignited in the progressive era, influenced by Dewey's teachings, especially around the idea of teaching people for citizenship. Not in the sense of being obedient citizens who wash their hands properly, but in the sense of citizens who participate in a deliberative democracy. That kind of thinking was behind some of the development of academies and colleges such as some of us on the list have attended.

According to Polletta, CIO squashed all worker education and universities of this sort, seeing them as a direct threat to their hierarchical organizing. I wrote about this a few months ago, in October maybe. I don't have the book at my side at the moment, being too lazy to get it while I'm in the midst of bill paying and other housework.