[lbo-talk] "Watching Elephants Fly": An appropriate title for Friedman getting it right

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Sun Jan 8 19:19:08 PST 2012

On Mon, 9 Jan 2012 05:00:23 +0200 Joseph Catron <jncatron at gmail.com> wrote:

> "Here is what was so striking: virtually all the women we interviewed after
> the voting — all of whom were veiled, some with only slits for their eyes —
> said that they had voted for either the Muslim Brotherhood or the
> Salafists. But almost none said they had voted that way for religious
> reasons.

Joe, Joe. You irredeemable hard case. These people are so... reactionary! And probably racist too! How can you have a good word to say for them?

As Tommy F himself observes, in the item you linked:

"To not be worried about the theocratic, antipluralistic, anti-women’s-rights, xenophobic strands in these Islamist parties is to be recklessly naïve."

I'm sure that at least nine out of ten contributors here would fully endorse these highly progressive sentiments of Tom's.

Personally, I particularly like the roll-off-your-tongue phrase 'anti-womens-rights'.

-- --

Michael J. Smith mjs at smithbowen.net

http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org http://www.cars-suck.org http://fakesprogress.blogspot.com

I'd be willing to have ads tattooed on my forehead in exchange for a boob job, wouldn't you? Wouldn't anyone?.