[lbo-talk] Dean Baker on The Myth of Japan?s Failure - NYTimes.com

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Jan 11 07:37:15 PST 2012

On Jan 11, 2012, at 2:02 AM, Gar Lipow <gar.lipow at gmail.com> wrote:

> http://www.cepr.net/index.php/blogs/beat-the-press/the-japan-story
>
> Dean Baker agrees that Shadowstats are garbage (not his exact words,
> but a good enough paraphrase). However, he thinks that problems with
> the Japanese economy, though real, have been exaggerated. Curious to
> know if Doug agrees.

Sorry, missed this earlier. Poverty is up in Japan, and real unemployment is higher than it looks, but yeah, as crises go, Japan's is pretty mild. I was just surprised to learn that Japan's employment/population ratio, which long lagged that of the U.S. (mainly because fewer women were working for pay), is now higher than ours - and for women, too.

Doug