[lbo-talk] structural racism/sexism

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 11:21:16 PST 2012

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 1:13 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> On Jan 11, 2012, at 1:06 PM, Alan Rudy wrote:
>
> > You may be right about what Paul's talking about, Doug, but given the
> > wider aggrieved rhetoric of Republicans, many self-styled independents
> and
> > a raft of Democrats it seems far more likely that Paul is _heard_ in
> > Shag's/Patricia Rose's register than in the one towards which you've
> nodded.
>
> That's not what the exit polls are showing. Paul gets a younger, less
> well-off demographic. These are precisely the sorts who worry about
> surveillance & incarceration.
>
> Doug

I am not sure I see that. The younger, less well-off white kids I teach tend to be far more concerned with (as they see it) the way the system's tilted towards others than they are about being surveilled or ending up in jail. I am happy to be wrong, I have nothing but anecdotal evidence for my sense of things, and I almost completely do not grok the libertarian mind.