[lbo-talk] structural racism/sexism

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Wed Jan 11 12:07:27 PST 2012

alan: <>> <> I am not sure I see that. The younger, less well-off white kids I <> teach <> tend to be far more concerned with (as they see it) the way the <> system's <> tilted towards others than they are about being surveilled or ending <> up in <> jail. I am happy to be wrong, I have nothing but anecdotal evidence <> for my <> sense of things, and I almost completely do not grok the libertarian <> mind. <> _______

I couldn't find any data on income, only age. From the NH Polls, Paul didn't get that much support from young people. Gingrich actually led among youth. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203436904577153302684032684.html#project%3DNHEXITPOLLS%26articleTabs%3Dinteractive

aside from which, I'd guess that you need to get a little more granular. young people typically have low incomes since they aren't at the top of their career ladder as compared to people 35+. You'd have to disaggregate in terms of income and occupation to get a better sense of the class orientation, never mind their aspirations.

but as for what Rose was talking about, she was talking about his broader spiel, not any of the crap he's said recently to defend himself against the racism charge. He doesn't get on stage and go on and on about how horrible it is to be a black man caught up in the drug war. he *does* get on stage and talk about how our liberty has been eroded by the intervention of the state, by a federal government out of our control, by increasing legislation regulating businesses, and by a "nanny state" that treats adults like children, taking away their liberaties in the name of security and safety. etc. That nanny state one is another good example of the dog whistle.

shag