[lbo-talk] Dismal science on education, again

Jeffrey Fisher jeff.jfisher at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 16:21:20 PST 2012

I only thought you might have seen something. Alan I thought might do some stats on it.

I like studies. but in fact the long running argument I'm in is about my resistance to the idea of quantifying good teaching, or possibly even identifying it. I don't know if we have any really good evidence that such a thing as good teaching exists, even though I think I am a good teacher and that I've been subjected to a lot of good teaching. maybe we need to be much more specific than "good teaching" to say anything meaningful?

but then I keep coming back to that study last year using data from air force academy math and physics classes. and that study flies in the face of the focus on standardized testing. well, more specifically, the focus on short term results.

sent from phone. please excuse tipos or bad autoconnect.