[lbo-talk] Dismal science on education, again

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 21:07:12 PST 2012

I could look at the stats but I don't know when I'd get to them...

The problem with quantifying "good teaching" are myriad. Clearly the first, and foremost, issue is that the purpose of 99 44/100% of all such efforts is to increase efficiency and enhance the ability of administrators to discipline their labor force. The second problem is that our classes are filled with individuals with wildly divergent histories, interestedness and academic capacities, classically defined. Third, not only are our classes filled with students of wildly divergent background preparations/interestedness, these same students have wildly divergent "lifestyles" - defined most clearly by those who never work for pay during their years in college and those who work multiple jobs while seeking to complete their schooling. Fourth, teachers in many institutions have things like master syllabi or mandated textbooks which constrain their ability to teach as they teach best. Fifth, operationalizing "higher"-order learning (did I say screw Bloom and his taxonomy?!) - genuinely contextual, creative, and critical thinking - in terms of a 10-15 week quarter/semester verges on the farcical. Many of my best students didn't test all that well and, committed to working through the material, often struggles on take-home exams because they were making a genuine effort to intensely engage the material, an effort not completed by the time the assignment was due which meant that the assignment was the stimulus for learning rather than a product indicative of completed learning. However, that stimulus to engage/learn, generates percolations and iterative distillations which play themselves out over periods of time lasting far past undergraduate coursework.

On the one hand, I am fairly sympathetic to the idea of learning objectives and even some kinds of pre- and post-testing to see whether objectives intended to be met were met. On the other hand, the mere generation and collection of this kind of data serves to refocus teaching/learning towards producing learning objectives most students can meet and then teaching to those objectives in such a manner as to feed the nightmare that is instrumental accreditation fever with a bit of "just tell me what the fuck's going to be on the test" flu on the side. My sociology classes are as historical as they are sociological, as geographic as they are cultural, and as provocative as they are focused on making the taken for granted a problem, and not necessarily a resolvable one. All the best courses I ever took - in the natural sciences, social sciences and humanities - were critically anti-disciplinary in this way... and the priorities embedded in every attempt to quantify successful teaching/learning all work against this mode of classroom engagement.

So there, probably doesn't help, sorry... feeling cantankerous (which is probably why I top-posted).