[lbo-talk] Andarchist 'Theory' of 'Power' Was ..." - profoundly ahistorical

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Sun Jan 22 15:45:59 PST 2012

maybe just a misfire.

what one tradition in political and social theory might talk about is power as it operates, say, on this list: people with a command of written english, a facility with words, a willingness to be argumentative will tend to be dominant players. (this happens in meetings one on one, where talkative types dominant meetings and people who feel shy or tongue-tied often feel steamrolled). this approach might also talk about the power of ostracism and social norms: if the punks on Holloway Rd (Heartfield's recent example) had their way, they'd demand modesty in women's dress and mock, shun, ridicule women who didn't dress appropriately.

i might, as a feminist, want to talk about the way social power operates in my workplace by pointing out the ways men subtly make it clear that they think women and anything typically associated with women doesn't belong in the workplace:

1. het men will only go to lunch with other men because, they tell me, they worry about what other people will say. My eating lunch with one of them will immediately be read as a possibly sexual relationship, people will talk, wives will find out.

2. both of the male bosses i've had at this place have tried to assign me duties typically done by an administrative assistant: planning parties, buying birthday cards for co-workers (no one buys one for me! harumph!), organizing games days, etc.

3. when we are given "treats" to celebrate some accomplishment, such as a day off to celebrate at some local event, it's for race car driving, bowling, pool. Personally, I was totally into a manipedi to reward my over-time working ass.....

4. the way that all the men around me commonly engage in put downs of one another which almost always involve joking about having sex with the others' wives or girlfriends. e.g., "Yo, where you at dawg?" Answer: "Over here with your girl and a forty of beer."

Which, actually, is what *I* said to one of them once. Everyone busted a gut and also had to stop and think about the hetero/sexism.

5. Never mind the judgment and pointed comments that involve lesbian women, gay men, and bisexuality...

6. the frequent comment, from co-workers and managers, that any kind of complaint or inability is acting like a woman or girl. To put one another down, men call each other women.

That's the way that at least one form of oppressive relations of power work in the workplace

if you think this kind of power in social life is unimportant, that's fine. we'll have to disagree.