[lbo-talk] Capitalism and porn

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Mon Jan 23 07:56:21 PST 2012

On Jan 23, 2012, at 1:37 AM, 123hop at comcast.net wrote:
> Everyone will excuse me for pointing to one of the worst written articles I've read in a long, long time. But I find it hard to believe that the sexual lives of young men and women is as bleak as it suggests.
>
> http://www.truth-out.org/capitalism-and-loneliness-why-pornography-multibillion-dollar-industry/1324586390
>
> Does anyone know whether their description of sexual realities is true? Other research perhaps?

Yes it was a slog of a read and yes there was little substantiation of the broad claims. The parts about mental activities and chemical release and what not was particularly bad.

Nevertheless: I have always assumed that the sexual lives of most people are bleak :-). And I don’t find it implausible that capitalism is the cause.

—ravi