[lbo-talk] Capitalism and porn

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 07:57:01 PST 2012

[WS:] I think their argument makes sense - the consumption of pornography, which is a form of a chemical addiction - changes expectations about sexual relationship to the point that few human partners are able to meet (especially that they have to work and take care of domestic chores.) So it is not that the quality of actual relationships deteriorated, but rather that the expectations about these relationships changed as a result of pornography, and in comparison to these unrealistic expectations the actual relationships look bleak.

I am not sure if some of the assumption this argument makes are true (e.g. the addictive nature of porn) but the argument itself is pretty consistent with the notion of conspicuous consumption driving expectations, which in turn increase even more conspicuous consumption - as Veblen and Galbraith argued. In other words, it is the conspicuous consumption argument applied to sex.

Wojtek