[lbo-talk] Capitalism and porn

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Mon Jan 23 15:28:47 PST 2012

"Recent work in queer theory under the influence of Leo Bersani’s definition of sex as anticommunitarian, self-shattering and anti-identitarian produces a counter-intuitive but crucial shift in thinking away from projects of redemption, reconstruction, restoration and reclamation and towards what can only be called an anti-social, negative and anti-relational theory of sexuality (Bersani, 1986; Bersani, 1996). I call this shift “counter-intuitive” because it upends our understanding of the interconnectedness of intimacy, romance and sexual contact and replaces it with a harsh but radically realistic recognition of both the selfishness of sex and its destructive power."

http://gjss.org/images/stories/volumes/5/2/0805.2a08_halberstam.pdf ___________________________________

But this is absurd. In my experience, great sex, whether hetero or homo, always turns the individual outward, helps us see the world anew and motivates us to spread the joy. Hardly anti-social, anti-relational.....blah, blah.

See Wilhelm Reich.

J.