[lbo-talk] Ron Paul on the Civil War

Andy andy274 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 18:32:02 PST 2012

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 3:38 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> On Jan 23, 2012, at 3:33 PM, Andy wrote:
>
>> Most people who I've heard express concern about loss of liberty from
>> the CW -- Paul among them -- don't seem to recognize "wage slavery".
>
> In American speech, isn't the word "liberty" mainly the property of right-wingers?

Unless you've already defined property as right-wing (your house?), I don't think that works out, at least in principle.

What creeps me out like kicking over a rotten log is how time and time again libertarians will at least be too comfortable with the antebellum thing and its various cousins. To be sure federal vs. state exposes one of the foundational contradictions of the theory, but falling on the side of race politics on everything from accepting chattel fucking slavery on up all the time just makes me lose respect for the whole enterprise, good intentions of some be damned.

Lew Rockwell is supposed to have ghost written some of that shit in Paul's newsletters. Makes me queasy for having read anything by him.

-- Andy