[lbo-talk] Ron Paul on the Civil War

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 15:27:43 PST 2012

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 10:38 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

In American speech, isn't the word "liberty" mainly the property of
> right-wingers?

Haven't American leftists surrendered all the good rhetoric to the right? I certainly can't remember the last time I heard one of them say anything like:

"So hold onto your rifles, boys, don't give up the dream Of a republic for the working class: economic liberty."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cew_ZLgi3Cc

Aside from a few who draw on specific cultural/religious traditions (i.e. Cornell West: "Like King, we need to put on our cemetery clothes and be coffin-ready for the next great democratic battle"), most sound about as inspiring as an SEC filing.