[lbo-talk] How would democratic ownership and control move us towards serving human needs?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Jan 24 09:33:24 PST 2012

Let me just emphasize one point: The mass movement(s) some of us see developing will _not_ be dominated by any one theoretical tendency. They will be grounded in coalition politics (some formal & merely worked out on the ground). This is not compatible with the full scale 'ideolgoical' warfare among left tendencies that too often has been the case in the past. (A current example is Lou Proyect's hysterical War on MrZine.) The "Principles of Unity" paraded by the various "New Communist" groups of the '70s represented this tendency to narrow the movement.

But this sort of rough-and-ready coherence (as opposed to formal unity expressed in Party Organization) can't be merely "Can't we all just get along."

So: we are going to have problems. We are already having problems. We do need clarity about various tendencies. Black & Red & Christian & Etc. Together -- but not on the basis of ignorance.

Carrol