[lbo-talk] So, what'd you think of Obama's State of the Union speech?

Carl G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Tue Jan 24 21:08:05 PST 2012

Obama's State of the Union speech tonight bears comparison to the home- grown fascism of Kennedy's SOTU of fifty years ago ("Ask not what your country can do for you...")

Sam Husseini summarizes the setting in the House Chamber: "Bottom line: the people in that big room - rhetoric aside - are united for the 1%; the 99% are largely unrepresented." So Obama can casually say, in regard to Iran: "There's no option off table" - an "open threat, openly aggressive, [and according to the UN charter the threat by itself is] illegal." There's little check on an imperial policy that serves only that 1%.

Obama begins with the murder of Bin Laden, which - the rest of the world recognizes - multiply violated international law. And he ends with a chilling invocation of the military - and the murder of Bin Laden! "All that mattered that day was the mission." We've been warned.

But a noted liberal, Michael Moore, opines that the speech had "a great, great close!" That was Obama's invocation of the military who can arrest you without charge and hold you indefinitely without trial. Gov. Mitch Daniels, following suit, begins the Republican response with the murder of bin Laden...

Obama's encomium to the military didn't mention that he's empowered them by unconstitutionally abolishing habeas corpus, in the NDAA that he signed quietly on New Year's Eve. (One blogger notes, "More than a little disturbed by notion that the US military should be institutional model for the rest of society"; another offers, "Shorter Obama: You members of Congress are ALL FIRED! I'm hiring the Generals instead.")

The SOTU speech, although obviously a campaign speech, makes it clear that we should ignore the presidential election and concentrate on campaigns (like Occupy, etc.) to reverse Obama's military and economic polices. Elections are what we do instead of politics in America - where policy is insulated from politics.

--CGE