[lbo-talk] The '60s

Sean Andrews cultstud76 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 19:40:33 PST 2012

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 18:25, Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:

> Anyone who wants to engage in the c oming struggles triggered by Wisconsin &
> expanded by OWS will have read Ted Morgan's book or he/she is not serious in
> his/her claimed political intentions.
>
> Any one who refers to 'the '60s' even in casual dinner-table chat without
> having read Ted Morgan's book is proliferating nonsense (often in its most
> vicious form of half-truths).

I feel a gauntlet has been laid. How long does everyone need to get this book? Carrol says we must read it to have ANY further conversation about the 60s. I have been concentrating (when I have time) on reading about the 70s as that's the decade I was born; but most all of my ideology is rooted in the supposed dynamics of the decade before. We are at an impasse and the only solution is a book club. We can read slow so everyone has time...whaddaya say?

I have it here...bought it with my Xmas gift certificate after Carrol's continued recommendation (thank you by the way!): It's 13 chapters, 330 pages (exclusive notes, index, etc.), chapters about 20 pages (except ch. 7 is a doozy at 50pp.) each. A chapter every week or two. Could be fun. It must mean something that it works out to 6 months at that rate.

Or maybe I just haven't had enough to drink tonight. I'm probably gonna read it either way. If anybody else wants to do so as well pipe in.

sean