[lbo-talk] The paradox of southern racism

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 10:43:11 PST 2012

[WS:] I think a lot of it has more to do with actual behavior than prejudice - in which case the more exposure the less tolerance obtains (contrary to your hypothesis.) It has a lot to do with social norms of behavior accepted in one subculture that other subcultures find objectionable. I've seen just as much of this type of intolerance among blacks against whites as in whites against blacks. More educated whites are better at hiding it, but it is there.

In other words this form of racism or rather intolerance - which is think is different from the "traditional' US racism - is based on reaction to actual differences in social behavior rather than prejudice. And of course it is not limited to the US - I've seen that quite a bit in other countries. People more easily associate with those of the same cultural/educational background as themselves in, say, South Africa, Kenya, Mexico, or India than with people of different cultural/economic background who live next doors.

OTOH, it is hard not to see that fanning these kinds of sentiments is central to the GOP strategy of political mobilization.

Wojtek