[lbo-talk] The paradox of southern racism

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Fri Jan 27 13:38:43 PST 2012

On Jan 27, 2012, at 1:43 PM, Wojtek S wrote:
> [WS:] I think a lot of it has more to do with actual behavior than
> prejudice - in which case the more exposure the less tolerance obtains
> (contrary to your hypothesis.) It has a lot to do with social norms
> of behavior accepted in one subculture that other subcultures find
> objectionable. I've seen just as much of this type of intolerance
> among blacks against whites as in whites against blacks. More
> educated whites are better at hiding it, but it is there.
>
> In other words this form of racism or rather intolerance - which is
> think is different from the "traditional' US racism - is based on
> reaction to actual differences in social behavior rather than
> prejudice. And of course it is not limited to the US - I've seen that
> quite a bit in other countries. People more easily associate with
> those of the same cultural/educational background as themselves in,
> say, South Africa, Kenya, Mexico, or India than with people of
> different cultural/economic background who live next doors.

I get that, and yes people might be selective about their associations, but I thought the thesis (of the studies I hint at) was that in high-mix environments, it is difficult to retain that wall, and when interaction is thus enforced, it has the [surprising?] effect of softening the attitude of the intolerant.

Thank you for the response,

—ravi